Monday, July 28, 2014

To Kill a Mockingbird update

From the very beginning of To Kill a Mockingbird tension was ignited by the description of the Radley Place. And up until this point, the tension has been gradually fanned into flame as the prejudices connected to the Robinson case snake their way around the Finch family. Though the darkness of running hatred spills through the corners of Scout's world, Harper Lee keeps the beauty of childhood alive. But like any child, Scout matures as she observes the world. She learns from Mrs. Dubose's bitterness, from skepticism over Jem's teenage wisdom, from lining at Calpurnia's church, and from Atticus's emotional strength. In a way it's tragic to experience evil polluting Scout's innocent perception of the world, but in way it makes me proud. I'm proud of her courage. She's never daunted. Like her father she is firm in the face if discomfort and opposition. I'm really apprehensive to see how the more serious challenges unfold. I have a lot of faith in the Finch family and the path Atticus has chosen, I'm just afraid that others will take out their hatred on them. As I reached the halfway mark of this book, I realized how bound up I had gotten in the characters. I say characters and not storyline because To Kill a Mockingird is deeply infused in Scout's relationships and her understanding of those around her. I find that I don't lose myself in the story, I lose myself in Scout.

No comments:

Post a Comment