Sunday, June 22, 2014

First thoughts on To Kill a Mockingbird

    Harper Lee, author of To Kill a Mockingbird, grew up in rural Alabama during the Great Depression. Throughout high school she was passionate about writing. Her father was a lawyer and his prime example inspired her to pursue law herself. She attended University of Alabama and Oxford University and concluded that her future was in writing. To Kill a Mockingbird got published in 1960 and skyrocketed to the best seller list and earned Lee numerous awards, including the Pulitzer Prize.

    I've been eyeing To Kill a Mockingbird for years, I've just never taken the plunge. I watched the movie in elementary and had difficulty comprehending it. In spite of the confusion, however, I felt a connection to it, to Scout more specifically. Now that Im finally reading it, I'm adopting Scout's perspective. Confronting, with her, a complex, hurting world. I remember so little of the movie, I don't know whether to dread or long for the ending. So I'm really apprehensive to see how everything plays out. I've grown to love Atticus, Jem, Scout, and Calpurnia. And though I recognize the danger Atticus places them in by following his convictions, I know they will stand firm. They're standing on the foundation of goodness and justice. Nothing that blazes their way can uproot them.

"Harper Lee." Famous Authors. Famousauthors.org, n.d. Web. 21 June 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment